How can I make my own Montessori moveable alphabet and how do I use it?
A Montessori moveable alphabet is a great tool for homeschoolers and even just for children who are beginning to read and spell. There are so many things you can do with a moveable alphabet and all of them are great for learning. In case you’ve never heard of a moveable alphabet, here are a few ways you can use it:
Support Teach My Toddler by using the affiliate links in our articles to shop. We receive a small commission (at no extra cost to you) so we can continue to create helpful free content. Thank you, we appreciate it!
- Make sight words (we use our moveable alphabet with a few activities in our Pre-Primer Sight Word Curriculum)
- Make your name
- Make sentences
- Make words for things you see around you
Here are some awesome ideas for using a moveable alphabet.
- Sample Moveable Alphabet Lesson
- Moveable Alphabet Description and Lessons
- More Moveable Alphabet Lesson Ideas
These moveable alphabets are so fun for kids, but you may not want to spend a lot of money on one. This post will teach you how to create your own moveable outfit. The project total should be around $12 total and that includes the storage boxes.
What You Need
- Small glass gems
- red and blue construction paper
- Mod podge
- some kind of storage container.
- ½ inch circle puncher or scissors
You can make your DIY Montessori moveable alphabet using the exact same method you can use to make the flat marble alphabet. The only difference is using small glass gems rather than the big ones and make several sets of each letter in both uppercase and lowercase.
So far, we have loved our moveable alphabet. We hope you enjoy using yours as well!